- Technical Program Overview
- SC14 Schedule
- Birds-of-a-Feather Sessions (BOFs)
- Emerging Technologies
- Invited Talks
- Scientific Visualization Showcase
- Doctoral Showcase Program
- HPC Matters Plenary
- SC14 Archive
- SC14 Conference Program
- Tech Program Receptions
- Exhibits Overview
- Exhibition Calendar
- Exhibitor Application For Booth Space
- Exhibitor Housing
- Exhibitor List
- HPC Impact Showcase
- Meetings/Function Space
- SC14 Floor Plan
- Exhibitor Prospectus
- Exhibitor Forum
- Exhibitor Events
- Media Overview
- Media Releases
- Announcing the Second Test of Time Award Winner
- CDC to Present at Supercomputing 2014
- Finalists Compete for Coveted ACM Gordon Bell Prize in High Performance Computing
- Four Ways Supercomputing Is Changing Lives: From Climate Modeling to Manufacturing Consumer Goods
- Join the Student Cluster Competition
- New Orleans Becomes Home to Fastest Internet Hub in the World
- SC14 Announces New Plenary to Focus on the Importance of Supercomputers in Society
- SC14 Registration Opens, Technical Program Goes Live
- Supercomputing 2014 Recognizes Outstanding Achievements in HPC
- Supercomputing 2014 Sets New Records
- Supercomputing Invited Plenary Talks
- Supercomputing Unveils Ground-Breaking Innovations and the World’s Fastest Computer Network
- World’s Fastest Computer Network Coming to New Orleans
- SC14 Logo Usage
- SC14 Media Partners
- Social Media
- SC14 Blog
- Opening Press Briefing
- SC Photograph and Film Acceptable Use Policy
- Media Registration
- Video Gallery
This FAQ list is meant to help BOF organizers understand the scope and organization of the SC14 BOF program. Direct any additional questions or concerns to email@example.com.
What is a BOF?
A BOF provides a forum for audience-driven discussion, developing grass-roots participation and professional networking. BOFs are non-commercial with a focus on community building through highly-interactive discussion of a wide variety of topics.
What isn’t a BoF?
There are a few things for which SC BOFs are not the appropriate venue:
Vendors advertising their latest product release or feature (instead, consider the SC Exhibitor Forum);
A session consisting solely or mainly of presentations and discussion between a small group of experts (instead, submit a proposal for an SC Panel);
A project team meeting that is not focused on building community (e.g., by not allowing non- project team members in the discussion).
How should a BOF be organized?
While we do not prescribe how a BoF should be organized, BoFs should have a format that ensure high levels of audience interaction and engagement. They are explicitly not to be dominated by unidirectional talks or presentations given by the organizers or anyone else for that matter.
BOF Logistics and Accommodations
When will BoFs be held?
While a definitive schedule is not yet available, generally BOFs will be held in parallel tracks at approximately the following times:
Tuesday, November 18: Noon-1:30p and 5:00 - 6:30p
Wednesday, November 19: Noon-1:30p and 5:00 - 6:30p
Thursday, November 20: Noon-1:30p
Can you schedule my BoF at time X because it conflicts with …?
We will try to accommodate scheduling constraints as best we can, but ultimately we will not be able to schedule all BoFs such that all organizer/attendee conflicts are avoided. It is best to make any potential scheduling conflicts known to us as early as possible.
Can we make special equipment requests for our BoF?
In general, no. BoF rooms will be equipped with standard A/V equipment such as projectors and microphones including portable microphones for brief presentations and audience participation. We do not anticipate being able to accommodate any requests for additional equipment or reconfiguration of the provided equipment and furniture.
Who can attend BoFs?
For past SC’s, anyone registered for the technical program, workshops, tutorials or as an exhibitor could attend BoF sessions. We anticipate this to be the same for SC14. We will update this FAQ with specific details when SC14 registration opens in July.
Is there an additional registration charge for access to the BoF?
No. See question above.
BOF Speakers, Moderators and Organizers
Do BoF speakers, moderators or organizers receive an honorarium?
Do BoF speakers, moderators or organizers receive any registration waivers or discounts?